Effective Perl by Joseph N. Hall

Observations and Tips from the author of Effective Perl Programming

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Preparing for the Phone Screen, Part 1

It has been a while since I last blogged here! Let's put that aside for a bit, though, in favor of a general-interest topic.

Nowadays I am happily working at VMware. I will probably be doing interviews and phone screens from time to time, and if you are being considered for a position in my team, I will be the "Perl Person" you have to speak with. If you are doing a little research ahead of time, I have a treat for you, because here are some of the questions I am going to ask. If I have space and/or energy, I will eventually post all the questions I will ask, but that will have to wait for later.

These questions aren't too complicated, but I don't necessarily expect you to get them all correct. In fact, you can get a number of them incorrect as long as, during the process, you convince me that you know which ones you don't know, and you know how to find the answer quickly.

  • When have you used Perl? What version(s)? What platform(s)?
  • What Perl book(s) have you read? What class(es) have you taken? Have you taught yourself? How much? What about?
  • What is strict? What is warnings?
  • Name a special variable. One other than $_. What is $_?
  • What is perldoc?
  • What is a Perl module?
  • What is the difference between print and printf?
  • What does local mean? Where could you use it?
  • How do you open a file? What is the return value from open? What is $!?
  • What is "null" in Perl? How do you tell if something is "null"?
  • How do you find the size of an array?
  • How do you write an infinite loop?
  • What is a regular expression that matches any character?
  • How do you remove a key-value pair from a hash?
  • What is a "pointer" in Perl? What kinds are there? How do you make one? What can you do with them?
That's all for now. Answers, and more questions, later.


At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Nydia said...

Thanks for writing this.

At 10:47 PM, Blogger alphamonk said...

Hey Joseph,

I bought your book years ago. I am not looking for work so I don't need your phone screening tips for myself, but I employ them on future prospects at my company.

It nice to find a blog from someone I used to learn perl from.

This is my site Alphamonk.net.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home